Happy hump day, friends!
Now that we are past the Labor Day Weekend craziness and another Workout Wednesday upon us, today I’m sharing a core workout I wrote for the woman who “doesn’t like lifting weights.”
Now, as a personal trainer and nutrition coach, I hear this a lot! Normally though, it’s because it seems boring. Counting your reps, doing a bunch of sets of the exact same exercise, and standing in one place for an extended period isn’t always exciting. I get it…very meh.
My general suggestions are for women in this situation, those who know they “should” lift but don’t necessarily want to, are to either:
- Perform the workout interval style. When you set the timer, you don’t need to count your reps. Just go HARD for the full time and you’re golden.
- Perform the workout in a chain. This style of lifting is super fun because you don’t even set the weight down. It ends up being a little conditioning, a little strength, a little win-win, if you ask me.
The problem is, it really serves everyone to lift weights, in some way. There are tons of benefits to lifting weights. A couple examples…
- Higher metabolism
- Increased lean muscle mass (and that “toned” appearance)
- Better sleep
- Lower blood pressure
- Stronger bones
- Lower the bad cholesterol
- Higher EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption = afterburn = burns more calories AFTER you’re doing working out)
Needless to say, lifting weights is a really good idea but we need to make it a little more fun and approachable so everyone joins the party.
That’s why I started I started this series a couple months ago! The workouts were pretty well received so I’m adding a few more! Be sure to check out the other workouts!
Best Ab Workout for Women (who get bored easily)
AKA: best ab exercises for your whole core + mountain climbers
For today’s WOD, we’re working on core and cardio. This is a great workout to do on your active rest day. It will elevate your heart rate a bit and offer a chance to strengthen your core. One round will take you about twelve minutes, so hit it twice if you can!
As always, if you prefer, follow along with me! You’ll watch me struggle 😉 This workout was a lot harder on my shoulders than I was expecting.
What’s your workout for today?